Monday, February 22, 2010

Jonathan Safran Foer Strikes Back

Jonathan Safran Foer. I can't say enough good things about this man. His book Eating Animals is superb. Now he has written an article in the British Guardian titled "How Cows Become Beef." It should be required reading for omnivores. If people want to eat meat, that's their business. But each meat eater ought to know the suffering involved when he or she consumes the flesh of animals. For years, I was able to eat meat because I successfully disassociated. I lived in denial. In many ways, my ignorance was self-imposed. I sort of knew the truth in the back of my mind, but I wouldn't let myself "go there," if you know what I mean. Once the veil is lifted, it's impossible to lower it again. Frankly, I don't ever want to put meat in my mouth again. But as a recent convert to veganism, I must admit, I do miss milk and dairy products, such as yogurt and cheese. Badly. But then all I have to do is read Foer's column. It doesn't make me necessarily miss dairy products less. It does, however, reinforce my commitment to veganism and help me understand that the factory farm system is profoundly diabolical.

But I digress. Read this article by Foer if you get a chance. It is so very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment