Monday, August 2, 2010

Still the Most Beautiful Music Video About Animals



Ever since I first heard it on the radio back in 1984, I've loved Talk Talk's song It's My Life. It's an extraordinary song with an amazing sound - rich, vibrant, brimming with positive energy. Back in the days when MTV actually played music videos, they frequently aired the video to It's My Life. Even then, years and years before I became a vegan, I recognized the video as a deeply touching celebration of animals and their lives. Today, 26 years later, It's My Life can still be heard frequently on Sirius-XM Satellite Radio, and thanks to YouTube, the video is available for anyone to watch anytime. I have posted it here because I love the song and the video so much. Even if you have already seen it, please watch it again. I am sure you will agree that this video is a moving celebration of animal life.

Incidentally, the song was remade 18 years after it was first released, by the band No Doubt. I love No Doubt and I've seen them in concert, but their cover can't compete with the original Talk Talk version. For one thing, No Doubt's music video is a tawdry little 1930s' style soap opera that shows leggy Gwen Stefani murdering all of her boyfriends one by one. It's fun, but it can't hold a candle to the sheer beauty and power of the original 1984 song and the video that accompanied it.

Check out this video. Be sure to watch it all the way to the very end. The little kangaroo at the end almost brings me to tears. It will move you, I'm sure. It touched me 26 years ago. It still does.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andrew, good video (and song). Not sure if you have seen the video I have linked below, its another great animal video that is sure to pull at your heart strings.

    Great website, keep up the good work you are doing a great job.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StLkfzW5gQg&feature=related

    ReplyDelete